Social Media Week Lagos – #SMWLagos debuts in Lagos, Nigeria from February 18 – 22, 2013. I’m more than excited to be attending the event in Lagos this year.
When Social Media Week across the globe debuted in 2009, no African city was chosen. Barcelona, Berlin, Bogota, Chicago, Glasgow, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Torino and Vancouver were the only cities selected to host the event.
2013 started on a positive note for Africans and Nigerians. According to the Social Media Week Lagos Curator; Obi Asika:
“Social Media Week Lagos provides an exciting opportunity for engagement, new conversations about how business, government, culture, sports, and the entertainment industries use social media to impact our daily lives.”
Social Media Week is more than a conference, it’s one of the world’s most unique global platforms, offering a series of interconnected activities and conversations on emerging trends in social and mobile media two times per year (February & September) in over 24 cities around the globe.
In total, 3 venues/hubs will be used for the event in Lagos and each focuses on a targeted audience/conversation.
1. Media, Arts, Culture & Entertainment – Terra Kulture (Nigerian Cultural Centre)
2. Business, Innovation & Technology – The Porsche Lagos Centre
3. Policy, Education, Government & Society – Lagos E-Learning Centre
Check out Travel & Lodging arrangements towards the event here – SMWLagos Travel Info. Follow the the event on Twitter via @SMWLagos and also on Facebook: Social Media Week Lagos. Also check out this impressive video about SMWLagos below:
- Social Media Week Adds Lagos, Nigeria To a Line Up That Includes DC, Los Angeles, & New York (madamenoire.com)
- In 2013, new initiatives explore urbanization trends in Africa (africanurbanism.wordpress.com)