Lagos, Nigeria â€” After a successful pilot period, Tress â€“ a Ghanaian mobile app that helps black women from around the world find hairstyle inspiration is launching globally at Social Media Week Lagos during the Beauty of Tech panel.
The event will take place on Thursday 25th February at 4:30pm. Register for the Beauty of Tech event here.
The global black haircare industry is valued at over $500 billion (black women spend a disproportionate amount of their income on hair â€“ 9 time more than other races), and Tress is Africaâ€™s first social app that taps into this massive opportunity.
The company is founded by three women software entrepreneurs from Ghana and Nigeria â€“ Priscilla Hazel, Esther Olatunde, and Cassandra Sarfo. The trio met at the award-winning Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology program, where they became fast friends and decided to work on a problem they feel keenly every day.
The Tress Android app is available for download right now on the Google Play Store. With Tress, women can:
- Discover new hairstyles to inspire them during their next salon visit
- See detailed information about hairstyles such as the exact products used, the name of the salon/stylist, and the price range
- Share their favourite hairstyles and receive compliments and hair care secrets from a supportive community
â€œItâ€™s surprisingly difficult to find accurate information about hairstyles,â€ said Tress CEO Priscilla Hazel. â€œMany ladies routinely find themselves in the awkward position of walking up to complete strangers to compliment and inquire about their hair, or stalk social media accounts for inspiration as well as adequate information about the style.â€
Beyond the app, the Tress teamâ€™s ambitions are very large.
Says Hazel: â€œWeâ€™re excited to have Tress become active in all kinds of media products for black women â€“ television, magazines, events, and more. Our vision for Tress is to be an active social network of black women thriving in all aspects of their lives, and weâ€™re keen to partner with like-minded organizations and individuals whoâ€™re excited to help make this happen.â€
Interested in the newest African Hairstyle, download the Tress App on the Google Play Store for some inspirations.
Latest posts by Mac-Jordan Degadjor (see all)
- Is Uganda’s e-Health App – Matibabu The Next Big Thing? - August 12, 2017
- General Electric (GE) Open Applications For 2017 GE Lagos Garage Program - August 10, 2017
- Global Digital Report: Social Media Users Passing 3 Billion in 2017. - August 10, 2017