Masters and Ph.D. Fellowships for African Students
This is a resourceful list of scholarships and grants for Africans interested in studying abroad for their Undergraduates, Masters, and PhDs. I started sharing scholarship opportunities, fellowships, and fundings on Twitter with the hashtags: #Scholarships4Africans and #ScholarshipsFriday so my colleagues can benefit.
I’m not affiliated with any of the universities or scholarship providers listed here. I can’t provide individualized recommendations for scholarships. Do follow on Twitter and check out this page often for latest updates. New entries are marked with an asterisk.***
2019 Full Funding Scholarships*
- 2019 Mercatus MA Fellowship (USD $80,000) — Mercatus Centre at George Mason University in the USA is offering MA Fellowship for students pursuing a master’s degree in economics who are interested in gaining an advanced degree in applied economics in preparation for a career in public policy in 2019. Application Deadline: February 25, 2019. Find more information and how to apply here.
- President Robert B. Banks Scholarship for Masters Students in AIT Thailand in 2019 — The Asian Institute of Technology invites applications for the President Robert B. Banks Scholarship to international students for all of its master’s programme starting in 2019. Worth of Award: Full tuition and registration fees for 4 semesters Monthly Bursary (including accommodation); Monthly Bursary (including accommodation), Medical insurance, Visa fees, Student Union fee, Research Support. Deadline: March 31, 2019. Click here for more details and to apply.
- 2019 MasterCard Foundation Scholarship for Undergraduates at KNUST, Ghana. — The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Ghana invites applications from undergraduate students for the 2019 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme. Deadline: Applications close at 17:00GMT, Friday, March 29, 2019. Find more information and how to apply here.
- 2019 Westminster Tony Shaw International Students House (ISH) Masters Scholarships in the UK — The University of Westminster in the UK is inviting applications for the Tony Shaw – International Students House (ISH) Scholarships for Masters students in 2019. Full tuition fee award, accommodation, living expenses and flights to and from London.
Deadline: application closes May 31, 2019. More details here.
- Oxford-Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Graduate Scholarships 2019 — The scholarships are available to applicants who are applying to full-time master’s and DPhil courses, except the Master of Business Administration (MBA). Deadline: Submit your application for graduate study by the relevant January deadline for your course. Selection is expected to take place in April 2019.
- 2019 – 2020 Chevening Scholarship for Commonwealth International Applicants — The 2019 – 2020 Chevening Scholarship is now open for applications from international students to study at a top UK university. The scholarships are awarded to individuals with strong academic backgrounds who also have demonstrable leadership potential. Do read the Frequently Asked Questions for further clarifications.
- 2019 – 2021 Fully-funded Oxford-Pershing Square Master’s+MBA Scholarships. — The University of Oxford invites applications for the Oxford-Pershing Square, which sponsors a combined master’s and MBA programme or 1+1 MBA. The international scholarship is open to citizens of all nationalities. The scholarship provides funding for tuition, college fees and at least £14,553 toward living expenses for both years of study. Deadline: March 16, 2019. Click here for detailed guidance about applying.
- DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships – Scholarships for sub-Saharan Africans to study a development-related Masters or Ph.D. program in Germany.
- VLIR-UOS Awards Scholarships – Graduate scholarships for international students from Africa, Asia, and Latin America to study in Belgium on a development-related master’s degree or training program.
- Irish Aid Scholarship Programme – Scholarships for Tanzanian students to study a master’s degree in Ireland.
- The Government of Ireland International Education Programme offers funding to non-European students to do one year of BA or MA study in the country *
- The Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals is open to African students doing MA programs in Sweden *
- There are a variety of scholarships for non-European students who would like to do undergraduate or graduate study in Holland
- The Sciences Po offers scholarships for English-language undergraduate and graduate study by African students
- The German Academic Exchange Service has a wide range of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students to study in Germany
- The Netherlands Fellowship Program supports MBA students from Africa and other low-income regions studying at Business School Netherlands
- The University of Amsterdam has a number of scholarships for international students (via Simon Columbus)
- The University of Groningen Talent Grant is open to students from a range of low-income countries doing MA programs
- The Norwegian government provides scholarships for 800 students from low-income countries annually through its Quota Scheme
- The Bergen Summer Research School offers stipends to Ph.D. students from many low-income countries
- The University of Zurich offers a mobility grant for African students to spend one or two semesters there
- The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships support Ph.D. and post-doctoral study.
- The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship enables a female student from a developing country to benefit from undertaking postgraduate study at the University of Durham.
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships —The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto is intended to recognize international students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their school. The scholarship will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years. Details here.
- Humber International Entrance Scholarships — Humber offers renewable full and partial tuition scholarships to NEW international students beginning classes in September and January of each year. Find more information on the Official Scholarship Website.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships — The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) are merit-based awards that are open to students of any nationality who will be registered as full-time graduate students (Masters or Ph.D.) at the University of Manitoba. Find more information on the Official Scholarship Website.
- University of Waterloo International Master’s (IMSA) and International Doctoral Student Awards (IDSA) — The IMSA program will be discontinued effective May 1, 2019, with the spring 2019 admissions cycle. This means that students offered admission for spring 2019 and beyond will no longer automatically receive this award.
- African Master’s Degree in Artificial Intelligence — The African Masters of Machine Intelligence (AMMI) will prepare well rounded Machine Intelligence (MI) researchers by focusing on basic research in MI. All students admitted for the AMMI program are automatically granted a full scholarship.
- Obama Foundation Leaders Africa Program in South Africa 2019. Deadline: Africa Program seeks emerging leaders who have a demonstrated potential for impact, a clear commitment to integrity, and are at earlier stages of their journey in 2019. Applications will close on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
- The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) offers scholarships to Africans who wish to pursue post-graduate studies within Africa, outside of their own countries for the 2019/2020 academic session.
- Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme 2019 invites applications for Refugees and Displaced Persons in Africa Only for Masters Programmes in Natural Sciences, Agriculture, Health, Education, Engineering, and Social Sciences. Deadline: April 30, 2019.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with the IDeAL, KWTRP and Strathmore University is inviting applications for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Ph.D. Scholarships Eastern Africa in Kenya 2019. Deadline: February 24, 2019.
- The Wells Mountain Initiative Scholar Program for Students from Developing Countries 2019. The highly competitive scholarship opportunity for students in developing countries. Deadline: April 1, 2019.
- ACU Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships for Masters Students 2019. The Association of Commonwealth Universities in the UK is offering the Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships for Masters Students in low and middle-income Commonwealth countries, in 2019. Deadlines: February 6, 2019.
- The Peace Revolution Inuka Fellowship for African Women in Rwanda 2019. Deadline: April 19th, 2019.