Masters and Ph.D. Fellowships for African Students
This is a resourceful list of scholarships and grants for Africans interested in studying abroad for their Undergraduates, Masters, and PhDs. I started sharing scholarship opportunities, fellowships, and fundings on Twitter with the hashtags: #Scholarships4Africans and #ScholarshipsFriday so my colleagues can benefit.
I’m not affiliated with any of the universities or scholarship providers listed here. I can’t provide individualized recommendations for scholarships. Do follow on Twitter and check out this page often for the latest updates. New entries are marked with an asterisk.***
2020 Full Funding Scholarships*
- Ph.D. Fellow in Plant Biotechnology at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark 2020. Applicants should hold an MSc degree in Plant Biology, Biotechnology or other related fields, with good results. The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff. The starting salary is currently at a minimum DKK 328.355 (approx. €43,750) including annual supplement (+ pension at a minimum DKK 53,360). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible. The deadline for applications is February 23, 2020, 23:59 GMT +1.
- Fully Funded Nordic Africa Institute African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship in Sweden 2020. The scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 400 SEK (approx. 45 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 280 USD) and access to a workspace (including computer) in a shared office at the Institute. The application should be submitted by April 1, 2020.
- Young Researchers from European Neighbouring Countries Scholarship Programme 2020.
- Fully Funded International Mathematical Union CDC Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2019. Details here. Application Deadline: December 31st, 2019.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Scholarship for 2019 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Scholars at Canadian Research Institutions. Worth of Award: 70 fellowships are awarded annually; approximately 140 awards are active at any time. $70,000 per year (taxable). Application Deadline: September 18, 2019 (20:00 EDT). More details here.
- NED Reagan Fascell Fellowship Programme for Africans in USA 2020. The National Endowment for Democracy invites applications for the 2019/2020 Reagan-Fascell Democracy Fellows Programme. Each fellow receives a monthly stipend for living expenses, plus health insurance and reimbursement for travel to and from Washington, D.C., at the beginning and end of the fellowship period. Application Deadline: October 1, 2019. Click here for more details and to apply
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars Fully-funded Programme at Stanford University 2020.
Stanford University invites applications for the Fully Funded Knight-Hennessy Scholars Programme in the USA for 2020/2021 academic year. Worth of Award: Fully funded, include tuition, stipends, graduate program, and academic-related expenses with additional financial support available. Application Deadline: October 9, 2019. Click here for more details and to apply
- 2019 – 2020 Chevening Scholarship for Commonwealth International Applicants — The 2019 – 2020 Chevening Scholarship is now open for applications from international students to study at a top UK university. The scholarships are awarded to individuals with strong academic backgrounds who also have demonstrable leadership potential. Do read the Frequently Asked Questions for further clarifications.
- 2019 – 2021 Fully-funded Oxford-Pershing Square Master’s+MBA Scholarships. — The University of Oxford invites applications for the Oxford-Pershing Square, which sponsors a combined master’s and MBA program or 1+1 MBA. The international scholarship is open to citizens of all nationalities. The scholarship provides funding for tuition, college fees and at least £14,553 toward living expenses for both years of study. Deadline: March 16, 2019. Click here for detailed guidance about applying.
- Mo Ibrahim Leadership Fellowship for Africans in Cote D’Ivoire 2020. The Fellowships offer the opportunity to work in the executive offices of either the AfDB (Abidjan), UNECA (Addis Ababa) or the ITC (Geneva) with an annual stipend of $100,000. Application Deadline: No later than October 14, 2019. Click here for detailed guidance about applying.
- Ashinaga Africa Initiative Scholarship for Undergraduate Students in 2020. Full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree). Ashinaga support covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees. Condition: Be committed to returning home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university. Application Deadline: September 30, 2019. Click here for detailed guidance about applying.
- Getty Foundation invites applications for Getty Pre and Postdoctoral Fellowships intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme in 2019. Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $25,000. Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000. Deadline: October 1, 2019 (5:00 p.m. PT). Click here for more details and to apply
- Government of Chile Nelson Mandela Master Scholarship for South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola citizens 2020. The Chilean Agency for International Development Cooperation (AGCID) is inviting applications for the Nelson Mandela Master Scholarship for Africans in 2020. The Chilean Agency for International Development Cooperation (AGCID) offers, for the academic year 2020, scholarships to carry out Master’s studies in Universities or other Chilean institutions of higher education. These scholarships are offered to professionals who are nationals of South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola. Application Deadline: October 31, 2019.
- African Master’s Degree in Artificial Intelligence — The African Masters of Machine Intelligence (AMMI) will prepare well rounded Machine Intelligence (MI) researchers by focusing on basic research in MI. All students admitted for the AMMI program are automatically granted a full scholarship.
- Obama Foundation Leaders Africa Program in South Africa 2019. Deadline: Africa Program seeks emerging leaders who have a demonstrated potential for impact, a clear commitment to integrity, and are at earlier stages of their journey in 2019. Applications will close on December 2019.
- The Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS) offers scholarships to Africans who wish to pursue post-graduate studies within Africa, outside of their own countries for the 2019/2020 academic session.
- DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships – Scholarships for sub-Saharan Africans to study a development-related Masters or Ph.D. program in Germany.
- VLIR-UOS Awards Scholarships – Graduate scholarships for international students from Africa, Asia, and Latin America to study in Belgium on a development-related master’s degree or training program.
- Irish Aid Scholarship Programme – Scholarships for Tanzanian students to study a master’s degree in Ireland.
- The Government of Ireland International Education Programme offers funding to non-European students to do one year of BA or MA study in the country *
- The Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals is open to African students doing MA programs in Sweden *
- There are a variety of scholarships for non-European students who would like to do undergraduate or graduate study in Holland
- The Sciences Po offers scholarships for English-language undergraduate and graduate study by African students
- The German Academic Exchange Service has a wide range of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students to study in Germany
- The Netherlands Fellowship Program supports MBA students from Africa and other low-income regions studying at Business School Netherlands
- The University of Amsterdam has a number of scholarships for international students (via Simon Columbus)
- The University of Groningen Talent Grant is open to students from a range of low-income countries doing MA programs
- The Norwegian government provides scholarships for 800 students from low-income countries annually through its Quota Scheme
- The Bergen Summer Research School offers stipends to Ph.D. students from many low-income countries
- The University of Zurich offers a mobility grant for African students to spend one or two semesters there
- The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships support Ph.D. and post-doctoral study.
- The Hatfield Lioness Scholarship enables a female student from a developing country to benefit from undertaking postgraduate study at the University of Durham.
Amgen Scholars Canada Program at The University Of Toronto. The applications for the Amgen Scholars Canada Program for the year 2020/21 have opened. I9nterested candidates can apply until 3rd February 2020. The Amgen Scholars Canada Program is an immersive, 10-week program of research experience, professional development, and social activities.
Fully Funded UBC Vantage College Awards in Canada 2020. The University of British Columbia calls applications for the Fully Funded UBC Vantage College Awards. UBC Vantage College Awards is offered for a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Arts, Applied Science in Engineering, Management, Science. The University offers awards ranging in value up to $25,000 to students beginning their undergraduate studies in the Vantage One Programs at UBC. Application Deadline: March 31, 2020. Click here for more details and to apply.
- Fully Funded Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program 2020 at McGill University. The Mastercard Foundation provides financial support to Scholars studying at McGill University. Mastercard Foundation will exempt the tuition fee of the candidates of the 2020 Scholars Program at McGill University. Further, the foundation will also cover the living expenses of students for the duration of their Master’s Program. Application Deadline: 31 January 2020.