The Mo Ibrahim Foundation is inviting applications for its 2021 Leadership Fellowship Program for Africans.
Applications are invited for the Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship Programme 2021 at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa. As part of its programme to support member States, UNECA is partnering with the Mo Ibrahim Foundation to promote leadership development through a practical and on-the-job fellowship.
The programme is aimed at enabling young African professionals to develop leadership capacity in a large institution, gain knowledge of the functioning of the United Nations, have a better understanding of Africa’s socio-economic challenges and contribute to the analytical, advocacy and policy advisory work of the Commission.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation is financing this Fellowship position in the UNECA. The Fellow will perform the duties and responsibilities of the position at the headquarters of UNECA in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Foundation Fellow will be mentored by the Executive Secretary and/or a designated Representative in the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES). With this guidance, the Fellow will work on the design and implementation of strategic assignments in support of the ECA’s mandate of contributing to the governance and development of member states.
As part of his/her general responsibilities, the Fellow will be expected to:
- Advice on and develop strategic initiatives to advance UNECA’s mission and objectives.
- Support the programmatic and administrative functions of OES
- Plan, develop, and implement strategies for promoting regional integration.
- Conceive, develop and promote innovations in UNECA development policies, including helping Africa to meet its special needs.
- Review activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in attaining objectives and revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- The fellow will work with the UNECA for a period not exceeding twelve (12) months and the Foundation will finance an annual stipend of $100,000 which will be paid monthly by the UNECA.
- All expenses related to the Fellow’s official mission travel, including travel insurance will be met by the UNECA.
- The Foundation will ensure that the Fellow has his/her own medical insurance, child education and retirement plan arrangements.
- The travel costs for the assumption of duty and repatriation at the end of the appointment will be borne and paid out of the Funds provided by the Foundation.
Eligibility & Requirements
- Open to young female and male professionals, mid-career and executives alike who are nationals of ECA member States;
- Residing anywhere in the world and are under the age of Forty (40) years. Consideration will, however, be given to women under the age of Forty-Five (45) years with children;
- The Fellow should have at least 7 years of relevant work experience and must be able to demonstrate competencies in professionalism, teamwork, client orientation, planning and organizing and leadership potential.
- The fellow must hold a Master’s Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Law, Finance, Engineering, or any discipline relevant to the work of UNECA.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this, fluency in oral and written English or French is required. Working knowledge of the other is an advantage
- Sound knowledge of the Internet and basic software for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations is required.
Candidates must submit their applications together with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- UN Personal History Profile (PHP). UN Personal History Profile can be created here.
- Copy of academic degree certificates, and;
- Three letters of reference/recommendation.
Applications with all the supporting documents should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2021 MO IBRAHIM LEADERSHIP FELLOW.